Want to ship your bike via a motorcycle shipping company? Well, then there are a few things that you need to know at all costs to avoid getting bad service and wasting your money. We have mentioned some Do’s and Don’ts to remember while shipping your bike to help you get a bang for your buck.
Shipping Via Air or Freight?
When it comes to shipping using the air or sea freight is the cost and duration of the shipping. When you go for the air, you can expect a higher cost to ship a car or motorcycle. However, when you go for sea freight, you save a lot on the costs. But there is a catch; you can expect long delivery times with sea while air freight can deliver a really fast list if the sea takes 25-30 days, air can get your bike to you in 15 or less. So here are some important dos and don’ts of shipping your motorcycle via both:
- Do ship your motorcycle using airfreight if you have limited time and want to get it faster.
- Do not ship your bike using air freight if you can stay a few weeks to a month without it.
- Do go with the sea freight if you are a little tight on budget or if you want to save costs.
- Do not ship using sea freight if you are on a trip and if it is going to last just a few weeks.
Dealing With Shipping Agents:
Once you have a precise idea of which shipping method out of air and sea you want to go with, you need to pick a shipping agent. Now whether you are in the U.S or Canada, finding the best car shipping company to get your motorcycle across is easy if you know a few key things. Here are the things to do and not to do when choosing an auto transport service provider:
- Do effort in finding a well-reputed shipping company that is highly reliable and has experience of both motorcycle and car shipping.
- Do hit the internet and read reviews about the company because you do not want to get sloppy service for the amount you pay. Get help from Google and Facebook reviews.
- Do read their fine print and terms of services, make sure to know about all the costs associated with your motorcycle shipping. Make sure to check if they offer insurance or not.
- Do not select a motorcycle or car transport company just because they are offering the lowest prices. Cheap is mostly not synonymous with quality. Check their reputation, reviews, and total cost because cheap can sometimes surprise with additional costs at the end.
Preparing the Bike for Shipping:
Now you have selected the shipping method and the auto shipping company, so all that remains is preparing your bike. There will be, of course, some crucial things to do and some that you would need to avoid doing. Let’s see them below:
- Do a thorough cleaning of your bike and document any scratches, dents, and other damages using photos and videos.
- Do remove the side mirrors and windshield of your bike if they are heavy and huge
- Do remove electronics like GPS and radio before shipping the bike
- Do not just give your only keys to the carrier, have a set of spare keys for ‘just in case’ situations
- Do not disconnect the battery unless you know it cannot hold a charge
Over to You:
Finding the bike or car shipping company is the most crucial part of all, and you need to take your time to research potential companies before you go with anyone of them. Once this part is done well, everything else is a piece of cake.